I arrived in San Francisco for my first journey to the Outside Lands Music Festival. Having been to Coachella the past seven years and Lollapalooza last year in Chicago, I was excited to see what this bad boy had to offer. Considering I’m doing this from my phone, I’m going to keep it short and sweet. Here are my five observations from day one of Outside Lands:
1. The Layout of the Festival is Different and Great- Golden Gate Park is massive and a great place for a festival. Huge trees everywhere, nice grass and scenic. The festival itself, is laid out really well the stages aren’t super far from each other but every area is pretty unique and separate. Beer and bathroom lines are really chill which is always huge and unlike Coachella, you can drink anywhere which is fan-fucking-tastic.
2. The Weather is Crazy- thank god my friend told me to dress warm because it is cold as shit in the SF. Apparently, that area in particular is especially crispy. It was so foggy you couldn’t see shit, cold as balls, windy and it started drizzling at the end of the night. I dug it and prefer it to the scorching temperatures of Coachella but plenty of people were not prepared. It was easy to spot the d bag so cal dudes wearing tanks, shorts and backwards hats, trying to play it off that they weren’t freezing their ass off.
3. Transportation Situation is Dog Shit- biggest glove slap about outside lands is the transportation. We couldn’t get a cab to save our life to the venue and all the buses were so full they wouldn’t even stop. We had to bribe a cab $40 to get to the show and when we left, more drama. We dipped out thirty minutes before the show ended in an effort to beat the rush but got no love. There were no cabs really to speak of and once again the buses were packed. We ended up walking for 45 minutes, fighting our way on a bus that wasn’t really going where we needed it to and then finally scored a cab after walking an additional twenty blocks. Shitballs.
4. Onto the music. Since we got up here later than we wanted to and it took us forever to get into the show, I only saw the following four bands:
Of monsters and men
MSTRKRFT killed it. That being said, when the hell are they dropping another album? Kinda weird that they are on the festival circuit without one but I’m not complaining. I really love Washed Out and wasn’t sure what to expect live since its so chill and background music-y. I was really impressed, they sounded great and played all the jams. It was my favorite show of the day by far and the time in the evening was perfect. That being said, the energy wasn’t great for everyone and people started leaving halfway through. Their loss. Bitches.
5. Early End- Not sure if it’s a park deal or what but the show gets out at 10 every night. I actually kinda like it cuz you have your whole night ahead of you which we used to our full advantage.
I got some good sleep last night, am staying at a great house overlooking Alcatraz in the city and I’m ready for day two. Let’s dance.
We just wrapped up another amazing photoshoot, this time with the beautiful Rylee Breen, who visited LA all the way from Brisbane, Australia. Neave Bozorgi, our good friend and partner in crime, shot the photos in and around Hollywood and for the record, Rylee IS stripping on Hollywood Blvd. in broad daylight. Enjoy!
Follow us all on instagram at:
Kid Dangerous- @kiddangerous
Neave Bozorgi- @sirneave
Rylee Breen- @ryleebreen
We went into Coachella with the best of intentions. Shoot a bunch of footage, put together an awesome video we could share with everyone. Well, that didn’t really happen. What did? Well, I got some awesome dance footage. Enjoy!
We had a little flip cup tournie on Monday night, for no other reason than wanting to get drunk, and needed to settle a tie in a one cup playoff. Here’s how it all went down!
Beirut is in my top three bands of all time. I understand why a lot of people don’t really like them, or can’t get into them too much, but I think they’re amazing. Zach Condon is truly a musical genius and considering he’s only 25 years old and he’s got five albums and and a handful of EPs out, and that he can play almost every musical instrument under the sun, the guy deserves his respect. If you haven’t heard them and enjoy music with horns, pianos, ukuleles and more, it’s time to get on board. This was now my third time seeing them live and their stage presence and sound has improved a ton. I went with my girlfriend to the Greek Theatre and we sat in the pit so we had a front row view of the action. The Greek is an unbelievable venue. Nestled in the hills of Griffith Park in Los Feliz, it’s an outdoor theatre surrounded by enormous, beautiful trees, there’s not a bad seat in the house and the sound is great. If you live in LA and have never been there, I’d definitely recommend crossing it off your bucket list. I forgot to bring my flip but I did have my iPhone. Here’s a nice little video I threw together from the show. Enjoy!
There’s been like 3 deaths from planking in the world. Plus, it was invented by Australians, and no one likes Australians. So if you dont already know, the next evolution in pointless shit is leisure diving. Some folks dedicated an entire site to it. Click on this link. Its funny as hell. And props to our boys, Vince & “One-Take” Kolby, who got the coveted title of “leisure dive of the day” today. See their awesomeness below
The record label Mad Decent is throwin a FREE block party in downtown LA tomorrow. They’ve already thrown ones in Philly, NYC & Chi-town and now they’re finishing up in L.A. It looks bad ass. Look how bananas shit the NYC one was:
I’m going, but I cant seem to convince any other people to rally. Just show up at Kid D Headquarters. I’ll buy the Busch Light & we’ll cab it down there. Let’s do this. Hit me up if interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
If this isnt convincing enough, click on the link to download a sick mix they made to promote the block parties. I think I’ve listened to it 5 times in the last 2 days: http://www.maddecent.com/blog/mad-heat-the-native-mad-decent-block-party-mix-tape
We’re partying. Again. Tonight at the Cutting Room on the Sunset Strip.
Season 4 of Jersey Shore starts tonight on MTV. They’re headed to Italy for more drama, linguini, ill-advised shots of sambuca and juice-head gorilla antics than you can shake a cannoli at. And keep an eye out for our boy Vinny rockin Kid Dangerous gear all season. And head to our online store if you wanna get some of that gear, or just click on Vinny’s pic. Ciao!